Friday 14 August 2015

The first of many


Our visit to Kakuma refugee camp seems a lifetime away. So much has happened since then and sometimes it's easy to forget how much we have and how much we take for granted.
I have however, been overwhelmed by the kindness of people who listened to our stories, who looked at our photographs and said 'OK we are behind you - we understand.' From the young girl who gave me 7p - all the change that she had in her pocket - to the schools who have fund raised, who have committed to helping to create a future for these children.
Some of these schools aren't in affluent areas themselves but they have worked tirelessly. The Dearne ALC has already raised £4,500 and aim to build a complete classroom themselves - what a legacy and what an experience for the young people involved.
Today we received photos of the classroom that was funded by a mixture of donations from our twitter colleagues, family and friends as well as Debbie emptying her wardrobe on E bay!

I'm not sure I've ever been as overwhelmed as I was at Northern Rocks, holding the orange bucket for people to throw 'change' into whilst listening to the wonderful Rachel Orr singing. I confess I did burst into tears when people put in notes, emptied their purses of change - not one person just walked past me without donating - amazing people.


I cannot thank you all enough - the difference this will make is beyond words. Education is the only hope for these children. If you are interested in learning more please get in touch - we have funds in place towards another classroom but aren't there yet so will continue to work as hard as we can. 

The just giving page is still open 

 Schools are involved in healthy tuck shops, 4,000 mile challenges, community projects - 


I felt incredibly inadequate on our return from Kakuma but today I feel heartened - humbled but heartened. Thank you all so much xx












2 comments:

  1. You and Debra have inspired so many and are making such a difference. Inspirational
    Mo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mo but Debbie and I are just a starting point it is people like you and your wonderful pupils and staff who are making a difference x

      Delete

Thank you - your comment will be visible after moderation Jane