Thursday 15 May 2014

Using images as stimulus material

I love it when I come across a link on the internet that sparks my imagination. I use Flipboard and on browsing this morning came across this link.
Bikes of burden
It was about a book called Bikes of Burden' by the photographer Hans Kemp and basically showed motorbikes in Vietnam laden with the most amazing array of goods from goldfish to hula hoops. 
Firstly this made me smile then it made me think - I could so use this in the classroom!
Before I explain how I might use it - let me explain why I've used the images below as examples and not ones from the book. It is so easy to copy and paste images on the Internet but without the photographer's permission this is breaking the law. There is however, a source of images which you are free to use if you follow certain guidelines.
http://search.creativecommons.org/

If you are using images in the classroom then any of the 6 different licences is fine - so basically you can use any creative commons image - just to display -  in your work as long as you attribute it.
There is a lot more information in my book  Learning Through a Lens - available HERE

By using this search I found images to illustrate the idea of Bikes of Burden which are freely available

@Harold Hoyer Flickr

@Elliot Margolies Flickr



The two images above are by @Staffan Scherz Flickr

@Tristan Schmur Flickr

How could you use these in your classroom?
  • Simply as an image on the board as a discussion starter
  • Bring an old pushbike into school - how much can we transport? Look at problem solving, teamwork, Balance, weights, different materials and their changes, fastenings...
  • Safety laws in this country - compare lifestyles
  • The last photo is begging for a caption about optimism!
  • Which would be the most difficult cargo to transport?
  • Search for other images in the bikes of Burden series - they are amazing!

Hope these photos made you smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you - your comment will be visible after moderation Jane