Friday 10 October 2014

Notes from the front line - Debra Kidd


Once in a while a book comes along that stops you in your tracks and really makes you think about your own stance upon and your response to educational issues. I've been a teacher for 30 years and yet there are sections in this book where I found myself thinking ' I never knew that.' Debra has a way of distilling educational issues that makes them clear to understand without oversimplifying them. I think my favourite quote from the book would be ' It is hard to find breathing space in such systems to be your authentic teacher self. But there are pockets of air  - you just need to know how to find them and use them.' She may be a doctor and an academic but she 'gets teachers' as she is one too! I  love this book and have scribbled notes all over it, stuck post it notes in it and folded corners over. It's a book to be read and re read. If you are happy to be challenged then this is the book for you. 
> Thank you for helping me relocate my authentic teacher self.

That was the review that I wrote for Amazon but all I want to really say is 'BUY it, Read it and do what this amazing woman says!' 

Book available here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you - your comment will be visible after moderation Jane