Wednesday, 29 April 2015
You know you are a grandma when ...
2. You realise that whilst black is a good colour for a woman of your age - very forgiving and covers a multitude of sins - it shows every bit of rusk, banana and regurgitated milk.
3. You remember how amazing it is to snuggle a warm little body and read 'Dear Zoo' for the nth time. Nothing changes.
4. The new Thomas the tank engine and Postman Pat DVDs fill you with horror. Postman Pat as a clone who appears on x Factor and is horrible to everyone in the village - I don't think so!
5. You replace the photo of your son in your purse with one of your grandson.
6. You open your 'posh' leather handbag to reveal a nappy, a dummy and yet another copy of 'Dear Zoo'.
7. Your son realises that actually you weren't that bad a mum and asks for your advice on everything from washing temperatures to car seats.
8. On learning that there is going to be a grandchild number 2 your heart leaps with joy and the thought of a double buggy no longer holds any fear.
9. You at last have a 'willing' or ready model who at the age of 9 months knows to smile at Grandma's camera.
10. You understand that nothing can compare with a beautiful child beaming because you are there and holding out his arms to be loved.
Thank you to my son and daughter in law for letting me share 'our Tommy' at times of difficulty with mum in a dementia care home there have been times when his smile has been the one thing that has kept me going x